Social Icons

Pages

Saturday, January 25, 2014

An unusual desk project Part I Sylvania Ohio

Ive started work on an unusual desk project, and wanted to share it with you.  My customer has asked me to make his desk longer!  Here are some pictures of the existing desk.  It is a custom built desk, about 7 years old.    


There are several major challenges on this project: Color matching the stain, the precision cut to split the desk,  and making the entire thing come back together!  A word about color matching stains - I cannot guarantee a perfect match.  This desk has been in front of this window for several years, and has also endured usage and age, which makes matching almost impossible. But, I think I have it as close as its going to get...


Ok, heres the plan...
Im going to split this desk into two pieces.  I will be making a cut to the right side of the existing drawer, and adding a 3 section in between, with a new drawer below.
I will need to add a new support piece also.  Here is what the existing looks like...



The desk top is separated with a transition piece.  I can section in the new top addition using a similar transition piece...


Now for some shop work.  After coming up with a color match and approving it with the customer, Ive started to make the new support legs in the shop.  I picked up the angle from the existing supports, so that my new supports will match.  Ive also made so new bullnose pieces, and cut the top...


All of the materials are birch.  Birch is a great material for a desk, and used to be pretty readily available, but not so much any more.  Ive managed to locate what I need, but it took some leg work to track it down.  More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment